Half of our weekend was spent up at my father in laws lake house, having a much needed few days of fun. We were back to the farm, on Sunday and have been working non stop. We got home around lunch time on Sunday, and Aubrey’s room was finished being drywalled. Thanks to my brother in law, Aaron, and mother in law for coming to our house Saturday and Sunday morning, while we were away having fun.
Our first task was to wipe down the walls of all the drywall dust, and to pull the carpet back to expose the hardwood floors.
Just like our room, there was an old vinyl from the 1960s under the carpet and then the hardwood floors. The hardwood floors, were in pretty good shape, and like the other rooms upstairs have great character, and just need a good cleaning. I did find 2 buttons, a puzzle piece, old pink hair clip and multiple old bobby pins under the vinyl floor. It is always a surprise what is behind walls or under flooring in this house, you just never know what you will find.
We started to figure out our toilet situation in the upstairs bathroom. During the inspection we noticed the toilet was sitting up on about a 1 1/2 inch step up, and without taking the entire toilet apart we didn’t know why. When pulling out the carpet from the bathroom the first weekend we moved in, we saw the toilet was sitting on a piece of thick plywood.
After taking the toilet off and looking at it further, we discovered that the plumbing is up higher then the floor, so that’s why the previous owners added the plywood. Since we don’t want to have to raise the entire floor, and create a big transition at the door, we are going to lay a plank vinyl around the toilet and lower floor. To help with the transition around the toilet we will just put a piece of trim to hide the plywood step. Stay tuned, this will get down rather fast because we are down a toilet.
Our activities ended early on Sunday, because we had a family dinner. We sent the kids out to the side yard to pick up the apples, so we could mow.
Today (Monday), we got quite a bit accomplished, even with 3 kids running around. My sister and mother in law helped me prime and get the first coat of paint on Aubrey’s walls, and ceiling.
My goal is to have her room all finished and ready to go by the end of the week. Picture of course to come, to show the transformation.
My dad came over this morning and drywalled our closet. We had the same issue as Aubrey’s room, wallpaper that wont come off of plaster. He got it all hung, taped and applied the first coat of mud. Ryan will sand down tomorrow and apply the last coat of mud.
The goal is to also have this done by the end of the week, so we can FINALLY hang our clothes in our closet. Currently they are hanging in wardrobe boxes in our mudroom, and in multiple laundry baskets/boxes in our room. It’s chaos, but we have been making do (kinda).
We ended the day mowing the lawn. I helped Ryan for the first time, and it cut the mowing time in half. We can get the grass around the house and out buildings mowed in an hour! I will have to say it was very relaxing, and peaceful.
Well stay tuned to the end of the week. We should have these current projects finished, and ready to move on to the next set!