The chicken coop when we bought the farm was pretty sad looking.  It had rotted siding, and was falling apart.  Due to the spring weather it has taken us (Ryan) a lot longer to demo the old coop then we had wanted.


The original coop was 40×8, with 4 separate areas. Two of the areas had concrete and the other two were dirt floors.  The little hut in front of the coop is for rabbits. which we are NEVER EVER getting!!!


The back of the coop was all rotted, due to no gutters keeping the rain off the building.

Step one: Remove the tin roof


Step Two: Remove Siding and 2x4s

IMG_6710        IMG_6746

IMG_6747     IMG_6742


Down to the posts

Step Three: Clean old chicken poop off concrete and power wash (This job SUCKED!!!!)



Step Four: Measure, Design and Buy Material

After removing everything, we decided that we wanted to make the coop smaller and only use the concrete section for the inside part of the coop. We also decided we wanted the chickens to have an outside shaded area in the outside run, so we kept the 4×4 posts up on one dirt area so we can put a roof up.  The finished coop will be 20×8 and have an 8×8 covered outside area, along with a large fenced outside run for when they aren’t free ranging. The coop will be able to house around 30 chickens!!


Step Four: Frame the Coop

We used 2x4x8s and 2x4x12.  We bought treated lumber that will be sitting at the ground level and in the outside covered area, and non treated for the rest of the framing.  Our goal was get everything (frame, roof, and siding) in one weekend.  We started on Saturday and were only able to get the treated base up before it started to rain.


On Sunday, we got up early and continued to frame.


Framing one of the side windows


Framing the roof.  It took some time and calculations to get the slope just right.

Step Five: Put on the Roof

We were planning on using a tin roof, but then I came across a product by Onduline called Ondura.  It is a roof panel that is made out of organic fibers and asphalt.  It comes in 8 colors, and we decided on red.  Super easy to install, and it wont rusts!!



Step Six: Put up the Siding


First piece of siding going up.  On the back of the coop we installed 2 vents on each end to help with air circulation. And yes, if you noticed the vent is upside down in this picture.


It really did take 3 of us to get a piece of siding up.  One to hold the shovel to keep it up, one to hold in place, and one to screw it in. 

AND its up!


We boarded over where the door will be (to the left of the far left window) and the holes of the two front windows.  With daylight running out, and rain coming over the next 3 days we didn’t have time to get it done.

Before the chicks can move in next week, we need to get the following finished:

  • build and install the door
  • install the two barn (utility) windows
  • trim around the windows, door, and sides
  • gutters on the back
  • build the roost (where chickens sleep)

I am super proud of my husband for all his hard work this past weekend, and also very thankful to my brother in law, Aaron, for helping out the entire weekend!

Stay tuned for the completed coop . . .